Moves Across the Border

Moving to the United States

Moving to and from the United States could be an easy process if all paperwork is provided and submitted on time and complete.  Your moving consultant will be happy to provide you with the right paperwork, information and help you complete it.

We will pre-clear your goods prior to crossing the border and providing that there are no problems or rejects at the border we will cross customs without your presence.

For Canadian Citizens, the following documents are required for moving to the USA;
- Copy of your visa (work or study)
- Copy of 'offer of employment letter'
- Copy of front page from your passport clearly showing your photograph
- Other photo identification if you do not have a passport (i.e. driver's license)
- The Treasury Form #3299 of the United States (we will provide you the form and help you fill it out)
For returning U.S. Citizens who resided in Canada, the following documents are required
for moving to the USA;
- Copy of American passport / Birth Certificate
- The Treasury Form #3299 of the United States

All the personal household goods are permitted to enter duty-free by declaring that they have been used for at least one year. The defined household goods that are defined by U.S. Government are all furniture, carpets, tableware, linens and paintings and other household used goods.

Further information can be provided for visitors, non-residents and returning U.S. residents either by visiting or writing a letter directly to
U.S. Customs Office
P.O. Box 7407
Washington, DC 20044
(202) 354-1000

Moving to Canada

Troy Transportation Moving and Storage in required by the Canadian law to place your goods ‘in bond’ once the goods have cross the border into Canada.  Once this happened, the owner of the goods (no third party is accepted) must appear at the customs office and clear the goods in person.  Once this has been completed and the goods are cleared, we will arrange for a delivery of your goods and bring them to your new location.

The following documents are/can be required upon clearance:
- Work Visa
- Employer Letter of Intent
- Passport or Birth Certificate
- Photo Identification
- Marriage Certificate if spouse has different name.

If there are any duties, fees or taxes owing, you will be required to pay these monies before goods are released. Cheque, cash or credit cards (Visa/MasterCard) are accepted. For more information, you can visit either the Citizenship or Immigration Canada Website at
or Canada Customs and Revenue Agency at